The NCAA just levied a one-year ban on Oklahoma State due to former associate head coach Lamont Evans ties to the FBI case that rocked the college sports world.
The NCAA released a statement today saying:
The former Oklahoma State men’s basketball associate head coach violated NCAA ethical conduct rules when he accepted between $18,150 and $22,000 in bribes from two financial advisors to influence student-athletes, according to a decision released by the Division I Committee on Infractions.
As a result, Oklahoma State was levied with NCAA sanctions. They are the first program to hear their fate following the NCAA’s investigation into their program.
Here’s a list of the, “infranctions penalty guidelines,” levied by the NCAA.
- Three years of probation.
- A 2020-21 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.
- A $10,000 fine plus 1% of the men’s basketball program budget (self-imposed by the university).
- A reduction of men’s basketball scholarships by a total of three during the 2020-21 through 2022-23 academic years.
- A reduction of men’s basketball official visits to 25 during the 2018-19/2019-20 rolling two-year period and to 18 during the 2019-20/2020-21 rolling two-year period (self-imposed by the university).
- A prohibition of men’s basketball unofficial visits for two weeks during the fall of 2020 and two weeks during the fall of 2021 (self-imposed by the university). The university also must prohibit unofficial visits for three additional weeks during the fall of 2020, 2021 and/or 2022.
- A prohibition of men’s basketball telephone recruiting for a one-week period during the 2020-21 academic year (self-imposed by the university). The university also must prohibit telephone recruiting for six additional weeks during the probation period.
- A reduction in the number of men’s basketball recruiting person days by 12 during the 2019-20 academic year (self-imposed by the university). The university also must reduce the number of recruiting person days by five during the 2020-21 academic year.
- A 10-year show-cause order for the former associate head coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.
- A prohibition of the men’s basketball staff from participating in off-campus evaluations for three consecutive days during the summer evaluation periods in 2020 (self-imposed by the university).
Oklahoma State just welcomed the consensus No. 1 overall prospect in the class of 2020 to campus in Cade Cunningham. They also welcomed three and four star players Rondel Walker, Matthew Alexander-Moncrieffe, Donovan Williams and Montreal Pena.
Here’s a link to the full release by the NCAA – Link